Africa leadership Forum
The Africa Leadership Forum manages activities around
Governance and Democracy
Governance and Democracy
Governance and Democracy
- Electoral Management System Strengthening: The African Union and the Africa Leadership Foundation (ALF) on 8 October 2021, signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) towards, “Operationalizing joint programmes to enhance credibility in the management of elections and the advancement of good governance, peace and security in Africa”. The MoU which aims to strengthen cooperation between both institutions, is a mutual commitment to build on comparative advantages and complement efforts for more transparent and credible democratic societies in Africa.
- UNDP-ALF Election and Voters Education Project: This was an initiative funded by the UNDP and implemented by ALF in South-South Zone of Nigeria in preparation for the 2011 general election. Provision of education, knowledge and awareness on roles and responsibility of stakeholders in germane to successful conduct of elections and sustenance of democracy in any nation. This intervention impacted in the successful and peaceful conduct of the 2011 elections in that region.
- Democratic Leadership Training Workshop (DLTW): This project that lasted for 10 years was initiated to enhance the capacity and capability of African young adults to positively respond to future leadership challenges in democratic setting part of the objectives include:
- Initiating a process of empowerment for male and female young leaders in democracy and human rights issues towards meeting the challenges in sustaining the democratic the democratic process in Nigeria;
- Improving the capacity of young leaders in the country to continuously expand the liberal political space;
- Providing opportunity for intra and inter-political networks, intra and inter-party networks and linkages towards positive collaboration at both lateral and vertical levels;
- Enhancing opportunity for young leaders to sharpen their leadership skills in participatory democracy and governance; and
- Inculcating in young leaders the values and concepts of effective democratic leadership. These workshops were organized in Nigeria, Dakar, Accra, Windhoek and Nairobi.
- Africa & the Challenges of a Union Government: The ALF spearhead the desirability for the formation of a Union Government following the decision of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government in Sirte, Libya in July, 2005. The project brought together stakeholders from five African regions was facilitated by H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo, the former President of Nigeria. The objective was to seek a conceptual clarification for the notion of a Union Government, its desirability as well as its constitutive, operational modalities and institutional challenges. The major outcome of the meeting indicated the Union Government must be multi-layered, based on principle of strict adherence and driven by identifiable shared values and commonality of interest.
- CSSDCA- An Agenda for Africa: The series of Conferences on Security Stability Development and Cooperation in Africa (CSSDCA) is a policy development forum, a framework for the advancement of common values, and as a monitoring and evaluation mechanism for the African Union. This initiative was conceived designed and promoted by ALF and was adopted by the Heads of States of the AU in 2002. It subsequently provided the foundation for other initiatives such as the NEPAD and the APRM.
- Comparative Study of Existing Sub-regional Security Protocol in Africa: The comparative study on the sub-regional security networks and effectiveness in the wake of threats from non-state actors examined sub-regional protocols in Africa, small arms proliferation and moratorium, interest of the United States in demilitarization in Africa and the African Elders Council for Peace.
- Partners for Peace: This is an initiative on Sudan spearheaded by H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo. It documented the mediation between the government and the SPLM/SPLA with the hope of bringing peace.
- Corruption, Democracy & Human Rights in Southern Africa Region: This was a project jointly executed by the Africa Leadership Forum and the Transparency International for the Southern Africa region to discuss the challenges of corruption and its impact on the development of the people of Southern Africa. The aim was to strongly promote and foster the culture of resisting unwholesome governmental practice of corruption, human rights abuse, tyranny and repression in Southern African region.
- Corruption, Democratization Human Right in Central and East Africa: This was a project jointly executed by the Africa Leadership Forum and the Transparency International for the Central and East African regions to discuss the challenges of corruption and its impact on the development of the people of Central and East Africa. The aim was to strongly promote and foster the culture of resisting unwholesome governmental practice of corruption, human rights abuse, tyranny and repression in Southern African region
- The Farm House Dialogue Series: The Farm House Dialogue is one of ALF national programmes. It is an informal platform specifically designed to facilitate vertical and horizontal interaction among and between diverse groups of Nigerians with a view to providing the required blocks in the construction of golden bridges across new and traditional divides within the nation. Since its inception in May 1988 the Farm House Dialogue has dealt with three broad issues covering some 31 topics. Thirteen seminars were held during the Development Series eleven during the Democracy Series and seven during the Governance Series. Over the years, Farm House Dialogue reports have continued to serve as a recognized and authoritative source of policy input for government policies and other sectors of Nigerian national life.